Creamy Vegan Pesto Pasta
This Creamy Vegan Pesto Pasta (aka ‘The Hulk Pasta’) is the perfect family meal for when you really can’t be bothered cooking!
I love cooking, but there are days when I lack the energy and time to get creative in the kitchen and labour over a master piece. Thankfully, there are plenty of recipes that can be made quickly and still taste delicious like this Creamy Vegan Pesto Pasta, known in our household as ‘The Hulk Pasta’.
Pasta is a mid-week family favourite for many families and while carbohydrates are getting a lot of negative attention of late, you can make a healthy pasta dish. This Creamy Vegan Pesto Pasta is a great meal for your meat-free nights that’s full of fresh herbs and healthy fats.
For those who can’t do without their meat (like my husband!), you can even toss through cooked chicken or bacon to satisfy their dietary preferences. If you like a cheesy flavour in your pasta dish, keep it vegan by adding 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast or for those who consume diary, you can add 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese.
If you have a fussy eater on your hands, I suggest only using enough of the pesto to lightly coat the pasta. You can then increase the amount every time you make it. Adding a protein like chicken may also help win them over!
If you try this Creamy Vegan Pesto Pasta recipe please let me know!
Leave a comment, send this post to a friend, pin it, or take a photo of your cooking and tag me on Instagram!
Creamy Vegan Pesto Pasta
Prep time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 10 mins
Serves: 2 adults & 2 children (depending on appetities)
- 300-400g pasta of choice (depending on portion sizes)
- 1 packed cup of basil
- 1 packed cup of baby spinach
- 1 avocado
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp pinenuts (optional toasted)
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil (or macadamia nut oil or flaxseed oil)
- pinch sea salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast or paramesan cheese (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and cook your pasta according to the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a high-powered blender, place all the other ingredients, except the pumpkin seeds. Blend until smooth.
- Drain the pasta reserving about 1 tbsp of the water. Return to the pot and toss through the pesto. Add the pumpkin seeds for extra crunch. If you're including meat, add this now.
- Serve immediately.
Left over pesto can keep in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can use this on toast, with eggs, as a dipping sauce or alongside some roasted vegetables.
In choosing pasta, look for a wholemeal or spelt pasta or try my favourite - a pulse pasta. These typically have a higher fibre and protein content and are gluten-free.